Floriade Dialogue #27: Climate Responsive Cities
Decision Support Systems to mitigate climate change effects in urban areas
Theme: Sustainable Cities and Communities (SDG11) and Protect the Planet (SDG13)
Monday 3 October
This Floriade Dialogue edition was all about the HARMONIA project. A project that is developing a Decision Support System to mitigate climate change effects for improved resilience and sustainability in urban areas. The dialogue was a workshop format with a roundtable discussing the greening of cities with a panel of experts.
Decision Support System to mitigate climate change
The workshop and discussion covered 3 main perspectives of Decision Support System to mitigate climate change:
- The health-impact perspective on environment and human health, discussing the challenges caused by pollution and climate change in urban environments as well as the potential benefits of greener cities. The tentative speaker will be part of Humanitas Hospital and Bruno Marques ‘president of the International Federation of Landscape Architects (IFLA).
- The Earth Observation (EO) perspective. How can EO data be used and implemented in urban environments, what information could EO provide. Three EO companies Eurosense, Telespazio and Geosystems Hellas
- The municipality perspective. How do municipalities do EO projects and what is their current experience. Representation from the Municipality of Ixelles, Belgum
Integrated Resilience Assessment Platform (IRAP)
Additionally, the project’s coordinator’s team of Harmonia, affiliated with the University Politecnico di Milano, explained in this Floriade Dialogue how the Integrated Resilience Assessment Platform (IRAP) Harmonia’s main expected output, will support the decision making of municipal authorities and help them build urban resilience.
10.00 – 10.15 – Introduction & Opening Remarks with contributions from the Italian Embassy in The Netherlands, president of FLORIADE and a presentation of the HARMONIA project & Introduction of panelists
10.15 – 10.45 – Human health & Environmental Heath. Human connection to nature in urban environments
- Katerina Gkoltsiou, Europe President of the International Federation of Landscape Architects
- Gideon Spanjar, Aeres University of Applied Sciences
- Carlotta Cattaneo, Humanitas Hospital, Partner of HARMONIA project
10.45 – 11.15 – Earth Observation user cases and implementations in urban environments
- Christos Kontopoulos, Geosystems Hellas, Partner of HARMONIA project
- Frank De Boeck, Eurosense
- Nicola De Quattro and Filippo Iodice Telespazio
11.15 – 11.25 – Greening and re-greening cities: feedbacks and perspectives; discussion with HARMONIA Project pilot cities.
- Representation from Ixelles, Piraeus, Milan and Sofia (round table)
11.25 – 11.30 – Wrap up and closing by Prof. Julia (Nerantzia) TZORTZI, Associate Professor, Department ABC Architecture, Built environment and Construction engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Coordinator of HARMONIA project