Floriade Dialogue: Going Green #04
The Logistic Landscape
Thursday 28 October 2021
15.00 – 16.30 (CEST)
No other land use expands as rapidly in the Netherlands as logistics. During the pandemic, web shops flourished, as well as a lively debate about the impacts of distribution centers. Yet, our ambitions to become a circular economy and eat more regional food highly depend on clever logistic systems. In this fourth pre-Floriade talk we propose to learn from logistics to build greener cities, and discuss some of the key innovations and design concepts of the logistic landscape.
Let’s admit, compared to the mind-blowing developments in the logistics sector, (landscape) architects and city planners seem rather slow and old-fashioned in their methods. What if the power of logistics could be applied to making green cities, without putting our cities in the hands of the empire of large e-commerce platforms? Can we leverage the system to fulfill the needs of a sustainable society, beyond the mere delivery of packages in today’s fulfilment centers? What could logistic companies give back to the regions where they operate? And what are the design concepts of the logistic landscape of the future?
- 15:00 – Introduction by moderator Sophie Stravens
- 15:05 – Presentation by Clare Lyster, Associate Professor, University of Illinois in Chicago
- 15:30 – Reflection by Tim Beckmann, CEO at Intospace
- 15:40 – Reflection by Janna Bystrykh, Lecturer, TU Delft and Academy of Architecture
- 15:50 – Discussion with the guests, polls, questions from the audience
- 16:30 – End of session
During the session, the speakers will discuss a couple of questions related to how logistics can play a role in the green cities of the future and the public will be invited to participate by reacting to the polls:
Should city planners and designers learn from logistics to build green cities?
- Yes, concepts from the logistic sector can help cities become green;
- No, not until logistics becomes a sustainable sector itself;
Where is the logistic landscape of the future?
- At a hub of different transport systems, far from your home;
- Underneath your apartment building and tennis court;
About the programme
This programme is part of ‘Going Green’. A series of six online talks on the topic ‘Growing Green Cities’ organised by Vereniging Deltametropool in collaboration with the Province of Flevoland. The programme is a warm up for Floriade Expo 2022 and builds up on the knowledge network of the event. The talks are moderated by Sophie Stravens and documented in a series of chronicles, written by Sanne van den Breemer. The programme is broadcasted live from the Floriade Expo 2022 site in Almere (Food Forum pavilion, Province of Flevoland).